Wednesday, 14 October 2015

'THAT CHAPTER'

I do not look for notoriety on this site yet it has happened occasionally due to my rather unique way of letting certain people or organizations know that what they are doing lacks heart. I call it 'the nature of the sport'. But seriously let's look at, it's a sport that has so many perceptions to every part of it that it's turned into a circus of the biggest kind. The only thing missing is the big top and the fairy floss at the side show.
I do however see that this site counter keeps turning up a rather silly chapter I wrote sometime back called 'A haircut and a forehand'. What I mean by that is there are places like Mexico, Argentina, Japan and the latest was Catania, Sicilia, Italy of all places who have all looked up a certain tennis headline and the most common one is the Agassi, Lendl match of 1987. So if you type in that headline, well for some reason this site is at the top of the search as I wrote a chapter on it. Nice to get some recognition for my many hours of writing.
Andre was only 17 from memory and Lendl was a seasoned pro who was rather taken by two things when he played the young fellow from Las Vegas, his hair style and his huge forehand. I tend to find moments in tennis matches to write about rather than full tennis matches because some are rather boring apart from a moment or two which has the public both mesmerised or the press conference aghast at certain comments made by a player.
The comment by Ivan Lendl regarding Agassi's court presence was nothing short of brilliant, a comment that had the press both smiling and asking for elaboration but all in all it was a comment which will go down in tennis history as a classic.
I am sure that some people find this site quite by accident as the chapters are sent to Google and then it's anyone's guess as to how people find it. I am no computer guru yet I have a little understanding as to how it all works, my kids do their best to explain it to me.
The chapter I wrote regarding that quote by Lendl back in 1987 at Stratton Mountain was a chapter I am rather fond of for numerous reasons. It showed that the robotic Ivan Lendl did in fact have a sense of humour that most of the time the public never saw, he tended to pick his moments to show it. He was never really the showman, the complete opposite of Andre Agassi who at the time of their first ever meeting was really a lot of show but not a proven winner. He was only 17 years of age though.
So they were chalk and cheese, one a crowd favourite due to his youth and exuberance and the other a villain due mainly to his professionalism and a habit of winning without really exciting the crowd too much. He simply got the job done more often than not. 
Personally I never liked Ivan Lendl because I found him uninteresting from his game to his look whereas I have always likened a youthful Andre Agassi to a Glam Rock singer complete with the flair of his clothes and his hairstyle. Pardon me for my 80's fondness but everything about that era I loved as I grew up in the 80's as a teenager loving the 'Gunners', Motley Crew, Def Leppard and Cheap Trick who all owned the long locks and the bright clothes.
Andre Agassi could have fronted any of those bands with his look, problem was he couldn't really sing. So the chapter I wrote was one that showed two personalities of the game but it wasn't all about the guy who was the young rock star, it showed that the robot had a little flair himself albeit in a totally different way than his opponent that day.
My most recent impression of Ivan Lendl was a fellow far removed from the robot that he once was on court, he had mellowed and turned a rather 'soft' Any Murray into a machine who won Wimbledon and the US Open under his guidance. His many training sessions with Lendl as his mentor would show a smiling Ivan Lendl chatting with past competitors who were now current day coaches. I am sure some of their comments to each other would have been worth listening to.
'A haircut and a forehand' could now possibly be added to a recent Lendl trait, 'A smile and a sense of humour' that we never used to see from the Czech who was simply hell bent on winning and not so much entertaining the thousands of people who paid to watch his matches.
I hope that one day my site gets a few more people reading it and finding some other weird and wonderful quotes that I have found by the time I cease to find writing interesting anymore.
One can only hope.......

No comments:

Post a Comment