Thursday 26 January 2017

'MANY SIMILARITIES'

I vividly recall a semi final at the US Open around the year 1980 when the great Bjorn Borg of Sweden took on South Africa's Johan Kriek.
After the first two sets the eventual winner had only won a total of 8 games.
Watching the first two sets of the Wawrinka / Federer semi at the Oz Open this year there are striking similarities.
Borg lost the first two sets to Kriek in the '80 Semi by the score of 4-6, 4-6 and I am certain the South African had already written his victory speech.
Borg came back to win the next three sets by the score of 6-1, 6-1, 6-1.
Stan just got the third by the same score and is up a break in the fourth. Could it happen again ? My apologies however my mind never stops as I watch the sport and write accordingly.
Whether Roger gets out of the spot he's currently in is almost irrelevant, it doesn't matter what your lead is, it's only a number . Borg was 8 after two sets, Kriek was 12, Borg finished at 26, Kriek was stuck on 15 and that to me is still a belting.
Play the ball, not the scoreboard.......

No comments:

Post a Comment