Thursday 26 October 2017

'CONDITIONS '

In 2009 I watched a remarkable display of concentration by Rafael Nadal as he took apart Andy Murray in the final of Indian Wells, 6-1, 6-2. 
The reason why it left a mark on my memory was because the conditions were in a word, atrocious. 
Wind, but it wasn't just wind, it was a howling gale, conditions better suited to sail boarding than tennis however it was almost a treat to see a player block out those conditions and simply make some adjustments.
Only a smart tennis player can do that, many put all the toys back in the toy box and go home early.
I once heard a commentator describe a comment from a player after a match on a windy day and I thought that it was either arrogance or proof that wind does not really bother a player who can adapt to anything the weather Gods dish up. 
'How did you handle the wind' ?
What wind ?
I thought that was a pretty damn good answer.
So how do you block out shitty conditions when you play tennis ? Well I suppose it's all in how you perceive them. Here's a funny one for you.
Around three years ago I caught up with an ex pro tennis player by the name of Neil Borwick. Now anyone who played tennis in Australia in the late 80's and early 90's would know who Neil is. In my eyes he was and still is a legend as I looked up to him when he trained and played in Queensland at the same tennis facility as I did, Coops, in Brisbane.
Neil could do anything with a tennis ball and in 1993 he took on the great Boris Becker at the Australian Indoor Championships in the first round. By that year Becker had already won six Grand Slam singles titles and three World Tour Finals. Neil won that match in 3 sets. Neil was ranked 104.
In 1993 Borwick also played Pete Sampras in the first round at Wimbledon, the year Sampras won the title, one of his seven titles. Neil took the first in a tie break then pushed Pistol Pete all the way in the next three before eventually going down 6-7, 6-3, 7-6, 6-3.
Did I mention Neil was ranked 104 ?
In 1993 at the US Open Neil took on Ivan Lendl, first round. ( Neil had some horror draws ).
Neil lead Lendl 4-6, 6-4, 3-1 before Lendl retired injured. Either way you look at it, if you are playing an average player you would battle through a bit of pain, Neil Borwick was no average player despite a ranking outside the top 100 in singles.
Lendl knew he could not get past Borwick unless 100 per cent fit, he retired instead.
Borwick also reached World number 60 in doubles in 1992.
Sorry I get side tracked at times.
Having a hit with Neil ten years after he retired from the pro tour was one of the most educational days I have ever spent on a tennis court because I learned just as much from
talking to him afterwards as I did hitting with him for a couple of hours.
Check this. I asked him many questions about his life on the tour but this one stood out from the rest. 
'What do you think was one of your strengths' ?
I loved playing in the wind.
'Why' ???
Cos everyone else hated it.
Word for word.
Most amazing answer I had ever heard.
So is playing in shitty conditions really a problem or do we simply not practice it enough ? I recall one day when I was 15 or 16 my coach Holmsey picked me up for a practice session and it was blowing a gale. 
I said 'You still want to play today Coach' ?
Yep, you have to learn to play in all conditions.
6-1, 6-2, 6-2, Holmsey.
I said afterwards, 'That was a waste of time, too shitty to play tennis'. 
Trust me, next time you play in perfect conditions you will appreciate it more.
Smart bloke Holmsey.
Even smarter was Neil Borwick to look at garbage weather days in a positive way on the pro tour against the World's best.
Is it windy or is it simply all in your mind ?
You do the sums..........

No comments:

Post a Comment