Saturday 6 September 2014

'SUPER SATURDAY'

I remember the greatest day of tennis ever played in New York, can't remember what year but three matches were played with a maximum of 13 sets allowed, it went the distance, 13 sets to be precise.
From memory two Americans, Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe played and it was won by Mac 6-3 in the fifth. The other Men's Semi was between Pat Cash from Australia and Ivan Lendl from Czechoslovakia , I do believe that Cash had match point in the fifth set but Lendl popped a lob over the Aussie's head to sneak out of trouble. 
I do remember the score in the Women's Final between Evert- Lloyd and Navratilova. Evert won the first 6-4 and the favor was returned by Martina 6-4 and 6-4 again. 
I will post this and get back to you with the year and the exact scores, maybe 1982 or 1983.
I have been known to be wrong.....

No comments:

Post a Comment